Beef and Guinness Stout
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 to 3 hours
- 1 1/2 lb (675g) Beef, cubed
- 6 oz (180g) Lean bacon, cubed
- 1 TB Vegetable Oil
- 1 lb (450g) Shallots or small onions
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Medium Datil pepper (chopped)
- 1 TB Sugar
- to taste Salt
- to taste Pepper
- to taste Dried Basil
- to taste Dried Parsley
- 1 TB Butter or Margarine
- 2 TB Flour
- 1 bottle Guinness Stout
- 1 TB Wine or Cider vinegar
- Saute the beef and bacon in a little oil until browned.
- Drain off the excess liquid and remove the meat and set aside.
- Add the butter to the pan, and melt.
- Stir in the flour to make a roux.
- Gradually stir in the Guinness Stout.
- Place the meat and the small onions in a deep dish, and season with the salt, pepper and herbs.
- Crush the garlic and add to the ingredients.
- Sprinkle the sugar on top, and pour in the sauce.
- Cover the dish and place in the oven.
- Cook very gently for up to 3 hours at 300F (150C). Check occasionally. If the casserole seems to be drying a little, you can add more Guinness.
- Remove from the oven and mix in the vinegar. Serve with lots of boiled potatoes to sop up the sauce.