Creole Seafood Gumbo
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
2 TB flour
- 2 cups liquid (water or chicken broth)
- 2 cups sliced okra
- 2 cups diced tomatoes (peeled)
- 1 green pepper (chopped)
1 TB Tabasco sauce
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 cups seafood (shrimp, crabmeat, oysters, fish)*
- 3 cups cooked rice (optional)
* Note: I prefer a combination of catfish, shrimp, and crawdad tails.
- Melt butter in large saucepan, blend in flour and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until dark brown, to make roux.
- Add remaining ingredients, except seafood and rice. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer 1/2 hour, stirring frequently.
- Add seafood, and simmer another 15 minutes.
- Serve as is, or over rice.
Submitted by Panhead