Mary Ed's Snowbound Soup
Tomato, Lentil, and Barley Soup
- 1 cup of dry lentils, rinsed
- 3/4 cup of raw pearl barley, rinsed
- 6 cups of water
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large ribs celery, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup shredded white cabbage
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 TB apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 3 or 4 dried hot peppers, crumbled
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine lentils and barley with water, bring to boil and simmer.
- Add all the remaining ingredients except salt and pepper, return to simmer, covered, until everything is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Stir and add more water if too thick.
- Add seasoning and let stand awhile, and reheat later.
Mary Ed Williams