Ron's Pork Tamale Pie
- 2 lbs pork roast, shredded
- 8 oz cheddar cheese, shredded (or mexican blend, divided)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package corn muffin mix (8 1/2 oz), prepared as directed
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 15 oz tomatoes, diced, mexican w/ lime juice & cilantro
- 1 package taco seasoning mix, divided
- 8 oz whole kernel corn
- 15 oz creamed corn
- 4 jalapeno peppers, or other hot peppers, divided
- 15 oz black beans, canned, drained
- Sour cream
- Scallions, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350F. Shred pork roast and place pieces in large skillet. Add onions and 2 diced hot peppers and cook until onions are transparent. Stir in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and all but one teaspoon of taco seasoning. Simmer to blend.
- Stir in creamed corn and simmer an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add drained black beans.
- Pour mixture into a greased 9"x13" glass baking dish. Sprinkle with 6 ounces shredded cheese.
- Prepare corn muffin mix according to package directions. Combine whole kernel corn and 2 diced hot peppers with mixture and spread over top of meat mixture.
- Sprinkle with 2 ounces of cheese and 1 teaspoon of taco seasoning.
- Bake 30 minutes until lightly browned and cornbread is set.
- Garnish with sour cream and sliced green onions (scallions).
Note: Leftover roast is excellent for this recipe. Also, beef and chicken are excellent in place of the pork.