N's X-mas Mushroom Salsa
This one can get messy if you do it right, but it's my personal fave out of my salsa recipes.
For The Marinade:
- 1 TB Liquid Smoke
- 1/2 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
For The Grill:
- 4 Portabello Caps
- 4 Shitakes
- 10 Crimini mushrooms
- 2 large leeks
- 2 Roma tomatoes
- 3 large Poblano peppers
- 1 head garlic (unpeeled)
- 6 Tomatillas, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh Basil, thin sliced
- 1/2 cup green onions, sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 chipotle or morita chiles
- 6pk of something respectable
- First, clean and stem the mushrooms. Then, whisk up the marinade, pour over the mushrooms, and cover. Same night, chop chipotles or moritas as small as you can (kitchen shears work well for this one), place in a small bowl and cover with olive oil, then cover the bowl with whatever's handy. Refrigerate overnight (the chiles can stay on the counter).
- Next day, first step: Fire up the grill!!
- Grill mushrooms, leeks, tomatoes, poblanos, and garlic until done. Let tomatoes get a nice toast to them, and make sure the poblanos get blackened all over (the head of garlic works great to keep them upright to char all sides). If you don't know the poblano drill, immediately place them in a paper bag (rolled tight) or in a bowl (covered with plastic wrap) and let rest for ~15 min to steam the skin loose. Then, remove the peppers and rub the skin off (wear gloves, it's better that way).
- Slice/dice/chop all the ingredients from the grill, except the garlic, and place in a mixing bowl. Slice off the top of the head of garlic, and squeeze out all that wonderful roasted garlic goodness into said mixing bowl. Add all other ingredients, including the soaking chiles, mix well, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. The longer it can sit (a day is best), the better. But, since the real world won't always allow, work with what you've got.
You will notice that I did not provide any witty instructions on what to do with the 6pk. This is because I hold my fellow Pepper Joe-ians to a higher standard, and I assume that you all know perfectly well what to do with a 6pk of good beer when confronted with chiles, knives, and open flames upon which to roast your food. Enjoy!
This has been another Too Much Free Time Creation by Needham in Greenville, SC.